Modern freshness and flare at Red Barn Farm
Photography Scott Cooper
You will want to check out this 18th Century farmhouse & property that has been redesigned with modern freshness and flare while maintaining its old farm/county appeal. Just the right amount of cool, hip & chill in beautiful Prince Edward County in a primo location. Three Bed/three Bath. #1 master room w/ en-suite & #2 & #3 rooms share a full bath upstairs.
This private room is #1 of 3 in the lovely large farmhouse.(2500+sqft). It is the premium room rental of the house as it is the only room with its own private, brand new en-suite bathroom. This room has 2 original large windows, providing lovely views South & West. Across the road to the south you will see the horses from Hadherway Stables. A west view window over the bed provides views of the working farmed fields and the stunning county sunsets. Another window also facing west in the bathroom. Making this the largest & best lit room in the house! Outfitted with a brand new comfortable queen bed and quality linens. This room also has a closet.
Another full bath is located downstairs serving the common areas.
Full Kitchen & Laundry
Large Main Room – consists of dining area, living room space, stone fireplace and library.
Entertainment room – large couch/chaise, tv, stereo room
Sun Room/Breakfast/Sitting Room
4 beautiful bedrooms- 1 master w/ ensuite, 2 private bedrooms with shared full bathroom. All with new beds and quality linens.
Owners private loft is also located upstairs off the back of the house.
On the property is also a work shop/drive shed and our magnificent signature Red Barn. These buildings are off limits currently, unless with 1 of the owners accompanying you for a tour. They will more than likely be working on/in one of them during your visit.
The back yard is a lovely space that you are encouraged to share. They have approx 3 acres for use. The manicured acre has a large fire pit and traditional games. Another acre of wild growth follows behind the yard. A short half km cut trail goes throughout and you are welcome to explore. Wildlife abounds with deer, coyotes, countless bird species, rabbits, turtles, snakes, millions of frogs have all been witnessed on property.
A slice of country heaven perfectly located in wonderful PEC!
* Breakfast – They no longer offer a full breakfast. However they will provide a lovely home made granola, yoghurt, berries, french press coffee & teas but it’s a self serve help yourselves situation.
* The house is over 150 years old with original floor’s. Thus – she can be pretty creaky. Especially in the quiet evenings. If you are a light sleeper – even a tip toe to the bathroom has potential to wake you. Plugs might be a good idea. This has never been an issue with anyone.
* They have a/c – however – real old house issue’s here again with terrible insulation. Even with full ac on the upstairs bedrooms have been known to be a tad warm during the heat waves. Windows open & fans in the rooms seem to have made 99.5% of our guests comfortable but there’s that .5% . If you need full air conditioning and a climate controlled room, they are probably not the place for you.
* Taxi’s & other transit options are very limited & slow around here, prepare accordingly. They help out when we can but not reliably consistent.
* They recently acquired a new puppy (July/17) and Patrick the pup seems likes a winner. He has a small dog bark when he first says hello and once he’s met you it’s fine. He’s a small fellow, a chi cross. (Sorry they are now hypocrites with our no guest dogs policy but we imagine you understand.)
The Kitchen and its amenities are a common space so feel free to bring your own supplies. The lovely screened sunroom at the front of the house is the perfect place to start, or any time of day really. In season that is. They have french press coffee & teas available for you to help yourself.
Wireless internet is provided but it’s rural, don’t expect city speeds. We do have one TV in the common entertainment room but not in the bedrooms. Lots of movies on cds/dvds, or a hdmi cable is ready to be hooked up to your device to our nice wall mounted screen if you wish to relax on the big couch/chaise in the common room. They usually hide out in that room with the dog. Most guests just retire to their own room with their own devices and stream on the wireless. Their hope, however, is that you didn’t come to watch tv, but they can certainly appreciate vegging out in front of a screen after a day in the county, so the option is available. A book case is stacked with a wide range of subject matter if you wish to curl up with one of their books. Lots of places here to retreat for peace.
The backyard comes complete with a fire pit and horseshoe pit and a gas bbq is avail for your use anytime if you are not out and about eating at any of the many lovely establishments in the County.
An outdoor heated eco- shower exists if your feeling rustic. It’s sure popular with Chris.
New, quality Raleigh multi speed cruiser bikes are available for guest use or bring your own. Biking is very popular in the county but please drive with caution.
Either or both owners Chris and Jen may or may not be on hand for questions in person. They both work and travel quite a bit. For helpful tips or suggestions about the county and their property, a rule book with house rules and plenty of awesome tips is provided in each room. They are however always a text or phone call away.
Other things to note
Off-Season – It is pretty quiet in the winter but as the county grows in popularity so does its winter visitors and activities. Being so close to great trails, they welcome all outdoor winter enthusiasts. They can accommodate winter visitors no problem. The ones have visited us have LOVED it. Go see the reviews. Owners live in and service the home. When home. The home and property are not child/pet proof as such – sorry but a no kids/pets/ policy is in effect.